Finding the right custom home builder doesn’t have to be a stressful process. By planning ahead and taking the time to understand your options, you can find a home renovation company that will bring your vision to life. So how do you avoid dealing with the wrong home renovation contractors? Here is a list of some do’s and don’ts of hiring a home remodeling contractor so you can ensure that building your dream home is a smooth process.
The Do’s of Hiring a Home Remodeling Contractor
1. Meet with multiple contractors: When hiring a home remodeling contractor it’s important to take the time to find someone who understands your vision. There are a lot of great contractors who can create beautiful homes. But you want a contractor that can fit your custom home requirements. That’s why it’s important to meet with several potential contractors to find the one that you feel you can work best with and who can complete the job according to your specifications.
2. Take recommendations from friends and family: You may be wondering where to find a home renovation contractor. Start by asking friends and family. You will be able to get first-hand accounts that you can use to help you find a home renovation company that has excellent skills and that you know you can trust.
3. Review contractor’s work and ask for references: One of the benefits of hiring a home remodeling contractor in the current market is the wealth of reviews available. Your potential contractor should be able to provide you with references from their recent jobs. Don’t be afraid to call these references to get a more detailed account of how the project was completed. Ask about all aspects of the project from the design phase to acquiring materials to the finishing touches. Your contractor should also be able to provide you with a variety of project examples. If they can only provide you with one or two reviews then it may be time to look for a more experienced contractor.
4. Get a professional quote from each contractor: Your budget will be one of the deciding factors on which contractor to hire. Your potential contractor should be willing to sit down and review your project with you including all the details such as:
- Design costs
- Construction and project management costs
- Fees associated with permits and other non-construction costs
Once your contractor has a good idea of the associated costs then they should be able to provide you with a detailed quote. If your potential contractor is not willing to give you a general outline of costs then move on to someone else. Having an understanding of the costs associated with your home renovation project will allow you to figure out where you need to make adjustments. Don’t go with the cheapest quote. Check with friends and family about what they paid for similar projects. If the numbers don’t add up, then it’s time to find a different contractor.
5. Trust your instinct: If you’ve done your homework, then you should be able to find a contractor who you will be comfortable working with and who will build to your specifications. If the contractor you are considering doesn’t seem honest or transparent about what’s involved in the building of your home renovation, then move on. Remember, a contractor should be able to produce references and credentials to back up their expertise claims. They should also be fully insured and bonded. Ask them to produce this information so you can be assured that you are working with a reputable contractor.
The Don’ts of Hiring a Home Remodeling Contractor
1. Choose the lowest price because it’s the lowest price: As we mentioned earlier, the lowest price isn’t always the best price. You want to be sure you are getting quality materials that reflect the look you want for your home. Your contract should be able to give you a detailed cost breakdown of materials throughout the building process. This will help you form your budget before your home renovation begins. If the numbers don’t add up or the contractor is using materials that are ‘cheap’ then you will likely end up paying for it in the long run in poor quality and a slew of repairs.
2. Hire a relative because they’re family: A renovation contractor should have the expertise and credentials associated with your project. Don’t bring a family member on board if you don’t think they can complete the job correctly or they don’t have the expertise to back up their work. Only use a qualified and reputable contractor who can complete your home renovation using materials and skilled labor that will ensure the job is done right and completed on time.
3. Choose the one you like the most: It’s great to get along with someone you are going to be working with for the next few months. But it’s more important to find someone who is going to complete your home renovation project to your expectations and budget. Make sure you choose a contractor who has the necessary skills and expertise to complete the job, not just someone who has a friendly face and a nice attitude. This person may be a great contractor, but it doesn’t always mean they can do the job right.
4. Take the first quote and cancel others without consideration: A home renovation project can be a stressful time and you want to get it started as quickly as possible. But don’t let this deter you from doing your research and meeting with a variety of contractors. This will ensure you are getting all the information you need to make a smart decision. Get a few quotes and meet with a contractor multiple times if you have to before making a final decision. This will guarantee that the contractor you hire has a complete understanding of the project and can provide you with work that exceeds your expectations.
5. Confuse a handyman with a contractor: There is a significant difference between a handyman and a contractor. To start with, a contractor has the necessary training, certifications, and experience to complete a home renovation project. A handyman on the other hand is better suited for smaller do-it-yourself-type jobs when you don’t want to do it yourself. Remember, your renovation project needs to meet building codes and you want to be sure you are working with someone who can complete the job according to the building guidelines of your area.
At Top Home Builders, we take pride in being an expert home remodeler that San Jose residents can rely on. We are also more than just a construction company – we provide our customers with exceptional home remodeling services to suit their every need. We’re happy to serve many locations across California including Fremont, Hayward, Milpitas, Mountain View, Palo Alto, Pleasanton, Redwood City, San Bruno, San Mateo, Santa Clara, Sunnyvale, Atherton, Cupertino, San Carlos, Belmont, Saratoga and the rest of the Bay Area.
If you’re ready to begin your next home renovation project, contact our team of professionals at Top Home Builders. We can provide you with a detailed and accurate quote for your home renovation and answer any questions you may have. We are there to help you throughout the entire building renovation process from sketching the first design and drafting a budget to ensure your home has all the features you want before handing over the keys. Contact us today to get a free estimate.